Saturday, March 28, 2020

Rainy Daze on the Farm





Been raining most of the day, not too scandalously but heavier now than before. Our homes are high and dry and so no worries about a washout. The winter rains have drained from the farm back into the creek. 

Despite the rain, the farm must go on. Eggs to collect and ready for the farmstand. There are some chicks coming on Monday from a current hatch out as I write this. I simply cannot wait to see those teeny Serama chicks! Miniature chickens produce miniature chicks! There will be photos. Not all are coming home as some are already sold. The brooder box has arrived and is now set up in the barn with a brand new brooder plate to keep the chicks warm in absence of a broody mama hen. Peep peep peep!!! 





Tomorrow we get into the garden as the rains are hopefully passing. I shall be clipping around the pineberries, trimming dead leaves, cutting all their runners as they run wild in a tangle across the garden bed. I will be wearing gloves as my hands are like healing pin cushions still from all the sugar testing these past two weeks. Also from the constant hand washing and cleaning of things. Chickens, eggs, goats, and gardens are not the cleanest of situations to dig your hands into. And chicken bathing, lets not forget the chicken bathing. 

I made peanut butter chocolate chip cookies today for us all. Had to substitute butter for shortening but they turned out pretty tasty just the same. I sent a dozen home with my daughter after we all had a good snack with milk as they came out of the oven. I have to say, we are eating well here on the farm. Tonight my daughter’s partner made home made burgers and perogies. 

N

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on my posts - lets me know someone is actually reading!