Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Farm Bubble





Well, I have been here on the farm a week now. I easily forget about what is going on in the world when I am here, busy with farm stuff. I haven’t even had much time for rock painting! With so many mouths to feed, it is a busy place. We all have our daily chores, and mine is to look after the eggs every day. Sometimes we get up to 4 dozen eggs if the girls are feeling generous. There is egg loss as well, as they often break one or two in the nest as they crowd into the nests, one after the other to lay their eggs. Sometimes they lay an egg in a very inopportune place, such as the goat shed, where three goats manage not to step on the eggs most of the time, and do not drive the chickens out. I had to haul one out of the goat’s hay feeder in their shed. I find eggs under the feeder every day, usually two of them. Today I did not see one hidden under a bunch of hay and crrrruuuunnnchhh. Even so, we still ended up with 4 dozen off to the farm stand. 













We have been busy looking after the new hatchlings. We started out with 7, lost one early in, and then gained another late hatcher who is struggling to catch up. She has a twisted foot, so struggles to get around, but has been perking up by the hour. She tires very easily, and now may have a new issue. We will see in the morning how she is going. Other chickens can prey on a vulnerable chicken in their flock. It is why Cru and one of the Ritas were in sick bay for a week with a sore foot/leg. They couldn’t protect themselves if they cannot run away, and the roosters are all over the girls frequently. They also need to be able to hop up into the nesting boxes to lay their eggs. Both girls are back in the general population with no further issues. 






We try to spend time with the goats too when we can. The weather has been muddy and wet these past few days. Once things begin to dry up a bit, we can take them out on leads to walk around the property. They love being able to munch on something new. They love wild rose bushes. I will show them ALL of them. They are an evil beast to trip over again and again as they send their runners out everywhere. Get snarled up in one of those and fall to the ground tangled in thorns. Ask me how I know...I did a beautiful tuck and roll when I went down though according to my daughter. 

We have also been doing a bit of gardening as well when the sun is out AND the rain has stopped. We get a lot of rainy sunny days. My daughter is working on her veggie garden this week. Onions, potatoes and garlic are all in. Pineberries have been trimmed, and some flowering plants have been potted. I also potted a dahlia that she gave me. We will still plant it in her dahlia garden, but it will be my dahlia to collect cuttings from whenever I visit here. 

It is easy to forget about the global pandemic while surrounded by such beauty in nature and having fun with chickens and goats. Then I check in with Facebook and it all comes crashing back. I think I am coping pretty well with things, but I do miss my friends, hiding rocks, and just walking around the city. I look forward to heading back to the city when it is safe to do so. For now, I will be here on the farm with my daughter and her partner, and dozens of mouths to feed. 









No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on my posts - lets me know someone is actually reading!