Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Crossing the Rockies


Me and my trusty co-pilot Nash (and my Dad's ashes - my other trusty co-pilot) left my sister's place in northern British Columbia and we set out for the Rockies. We drove over them all afternoon in gorgeous weather. No mater how many times I cross them, I love each and every trip. Mount Robson is the highest peak of the entire Canadian Rockies. 













Then we hit a snag. My rv had thrown a belt and I lost all power steering. I truly believe that my father was watching out for me that day as I had been crossing the Rockies all afternoon the day before when steering is all important. I had heard a bit of a whine/screech when I started out from Hinton on the second day. The drive was quite flat and straight from Hinton as we were out of the Rockies and so did not notice until I went to adjust my steering for someone to pass me. It happened EXACTLY as a passed a lone gas station along the otherwise desolate highway. AND as luck would have it, there was a mechanic shop less than a km away that could fix my issue right away. I was okay to drive with my ARM STRONG steering (as my dad called it) and get the rv to the mechanic shop. They had to order parts from Edmonton, which was so ironic considering that was my destination. I ended up spending the entire day at their shop, but it was a lovely gorgeous day and I wandered the property and took a stroll to the A & W at the corner across from the Esso shop. I believe it was my father who guided me there at the perfect time. Had I broken down elsewhere with miles to find a mechanic, I would have had to call my roadside, wait hours and hours for them to tow me to a shop anywhere they could find and maybe sit for a couple of days. So yes, thank you Dad for your guidance once again. 


We had camped the night before at Safeway/Walmart parking lot. I had looked at campgrounds but they were pricey and I didn't really need one. Free is so much better! I went to Mr Mikes for a nice supper and relaxed watching Netflix as I could pick up Shaw wifi there too. 


Now we are tucked away beside my daughter's garage in the alleyway behind their house. I am plugged in and Nash can see into the yard to interact with us. He is not ready to meet anyone, but that's okay. The one day he met McGee from the other side of our screen door, I ended up scratched up to pieces and a nasty bite on my arm when I went to take him away from the door before one of them went through it. Lesson learned - do not approach a cat with your body when he is squaring off with another tomcat.  Get the fucking broom instead and keep him at that length. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on my posts - lets me know someone is actually reading!