Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Ocean View

One of my favorite spots to go locally for the day is Clover Point. There is a lot of marine traffic to watch from Navy ships to Coast Guard ships, cruise ships, ferries, fishing boats, sailboats, etc. Nash and I love to watch out the window at the ocean and the business of the day. There are all types of fishing birds in addition to the hundreds of seagulls. I don't know their names however I think I saw a falcon at one point. There are also lots of tourists, walker/runners, seniors, and dog walkers. There are also others just like me, traveling about in a camper and parking somewhere nice for a few hours, which is the point of this post. What I was striving for most in my quest for the RV as a tiny house was the ability to change my external environment if need be without changing my internal envrionment, and the ability to do so easily. So on days when I don't feel like traveling far, or want to hang close to friends and engage in activities with them, I'll park curbside for a few days at a time without moving close to the house where my RV is registered. It's also where I've been showering since returning to the island. I haven't bothered with the hot water tank just yet until the solar power is up a I want everything working first. The solar is nearly the last thing to be completed. I need a bike rack for my bicycle so I'm not dragging it off behind me, forgetting that I locked it to the bumper. 

So today, even though it is an overcast and splotchy rain kind of day with heavy fog. Nash and I decided to come down to the point to smell the ocean. When the wind is on the land and the sea is a bit stirred up, the scent of the sea wafts in heavy with salt. Mmmm. What is it about the ocean that captures my spirit so? I can get lost watching the horizon, wave after wave rising and falling, whitecaps licking at the sky. The smell is intoxicating at times. And then an east coast song comes on and it all makes sense. I very much cherished the summers of my childhood spent seaside visiting my maternal and paternal grandparents in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, often for the entire summer. My first visit was as a 6 month old infant. Then one year I moved there and married my daughter's father and stayed for 12 years, the longest stretch I've done anywhere, given my nomadic life otherwise. The RV is my 47th home. I'm hoping to hold steady at 47. And parking by the ocean will always be in our future. How fortunate I am to live in a country with so much ocean coastline? I want to see it all. 

For now I will be happy with what is in front of me. I may go pick up this kitten who is snuggled deep into the blanket and cuddle him for awhile...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on my posts - lets me know someone is actually reading!