Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Where the hell have I been?

 I am aware I have not blogged in such a long time and I had no idea just how long until I logged in here today. It has simply been too long. So just what have I been up to? I will give you the highlights. 

2021 finished out with me going to Salt Spring Island to pack up my daughter and her ducks and move her to another farm, alone. She had secured a farm hand job on a willow farm where accommodation for herself, her two elderly kitties, and her six pack of runner ducks. It was short term, and worked on a long term plan to follow. I was thrilled and super proud to find out she secured a job in Victoria and will be moving to Vancouver Island, even closer to me. This meant we could finally spend more fun time together, like going for hikes, or meals, or ice cream, or playing at the beach, going shopping, for manicures or whatever. We had not lived in the same city since she moved out a few days after graduation from high school, aside from 6 months stuffed into my Yukon cabin loft with me on an air mattress. 

2022 was a busy enough year. My daughter moved the area and started up her office career again and I was finally done contact tracing, having finished my last shift over the Christmas holidays. Once released back to my usual job, I was able to settle in, get to know my facilities and the people in them. It was a busy time in my field of work during the middle of the pandemic. I don't want to talk much about my job or the pandemic on this blog other than to say I survived all of my vaccines and did not contract the virus, and I am happily settled into my job and reckon I shall retire from her in ten years. 





So what else is there besides the pandemic and my job(s)? Well my daughter and I kept ourselves busy and active all year. When the weather was warm enough, we went paddling. I have an inflatable stand up paddleboard that I sit on with a kayak paddle, and I had bought my daughter an inflatable kayak. We had a fabulous summer on the water and explored as many bodies of water from various access points as we could find. Her inflatable suffered three punctures but it didn't matter as my daughter was hooked on paddling and started our paddling adventures this year with a rigid kayak. We get out as often as we can together, alone, or with other friends. Victoria and south island just has so many places to put in and paddle around.

When we are not paddling we are often hiking the many trails or combing the beaches for beach glass. We have embraced the west coast life, and spend a great deal of time outdoors when the weather is fine. September is here now, so we are wrapping up our summer activities and preparing for the raining fall ahead. Fall brings more activity at the farm stands on the south island, so we often spend our weekend exploring this part of the country. 

I am still rock painting, although on somewhat of a hiatus during the summer months, but now the days are getting shorter and the weather wetter, so the rock studio will be busy again soon. I sew occasionally, but not for crafting much anymore. I have a few projects waiting so will get to them this fall. 




I have a pretty busy flower garden on my patio that I have been developing over the past couple of years, trying new plant, ripping out others. My favorites are the dahlias, so there are always some of those. 

I have been out there trying new things as well. I recently joined a Lion Dancing group where I am learning the footwork and drumming for the dance. I also joined a Kung Fu group run by the same persons. My body sends me regular reminders that I am no longer 18 years old with a nimble and flexible body. The same folks also run a free tai chi group at the park near my house so I think I will see about that next. With the pandemic behind us, I am open to trying just about anything again. Victoria has limitless opportunities to get out there and meet people and try something new. 


Nash has a new roommate - I brought home a betta fish we named Crosby to keep Nash company. I had considered getting a second cat, but if it doesn't go well, it could be a gong show that I have no wish to buy tickets to.
So there you go. All caught up. :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on my posts - lets me know someone is actually reading!