Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Dream Job For a Nomad

I am returning to social work with a new position and signed on the dotted line this morning to be the Adoptions Child Specific Recruiter for south Vancouver Island. 28 hours per week, with one day per week in Duncan, one day per week in Esquimalt, those are both at Ministry offices, and then one day a week at a local Aboriginal organization. I will be digging through mountains of files, looking for permanent homes for children in care that have been struggling to be matched with adoptive families. My job is not casework - these children already have their government case workers. I will be the one working away on the sidelines to push the paper along and find permanency. I think it will be quite rewarding work. The structure of the job is interesting to me. I work at three different offices three days per week, so using someone else's desk, or a meeting/board room, wherever I can squeeze in. Then I have a day that I can work from home and since home is mobile, I can park the RV anywhere and work away. I have most of what I need to set up a home office - printer, laminator, stapler, post it notes, ha ha. I think what I might do is have a rolling office kit in a small suitcase - all my papers and odds and ends I like to have at my desk, wherever it may be. We shall see how that works out. 

I'm heading over to the mainland tomorrow for two days of training. And I don't have to pack a damn thing. I love that. I am just driving over and taking the ferry. I have a friend from high school that lives in Port Moody and the office is a short distance from there in Burnaby. It will be nice to get away again as I have been having itchy feet...let's take this nomad on the road and try it out. My new employer is not sure what to think about the whole live in my RV thing. Honestly, I'm often unsure what I think about it! I think it will suit me best as no matter where I'm going, I can take my home with me, so I never have to pack or worry about what I left behind. (Or unpack!) Nash comes with me, and I can either eat out or cook my own food. My bed stays the same, and only the outside environment changes. As much as I enjoy travelling, I always struggled with travel sleeping arrangements - bed too hard, too soft, room too hot, too cold, noisy fans, noisy neighbors, intrusive housekeeping, snoring roomies, etc. Now little will change, and I really like that Nash is with me, so no cat sitting required, and both he and I get to spend time together. I think it will work for everyone. It's cheaper than a hotel to just pay for my ferry fares and gas, than all that and a hotel. My ferry fares are bit more, but nowhere near as much as a hotel in Burnaby - at least $150-200 per night. My ferry is only about $40 more because it is an RV. I have to pay by the foot for what is over 20 feet. 

I'm excited about the new role, and about returning to social work after a year away from it to regroup, and reacquaint myself with my country again. I will continue working at the Canadian Cancer Society as a telerecruiter until the end of February when the contract finishes, so for the last two weeks of Februrary, I shall be busy working both jobs. but I know it's only a short time and then I'll just have my new job and it will be more than enough wages to live on, and such a meaningful and interesting job. Yay me! I had wanted this type of job for many years and am glad to have this opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on my posts - lets me know someone is actually reading!