Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Home Sweet Home

Well it's been two weeks since I moved into Gertie. In that time I've been setting up house once again, buying all those little things you need like salt and pepper, cotton balls, toilet paper, corn flakes, flour, frying pans, etc the list went on and on. I had been compiling it for some time, thinking about what I would need to start up from scratch one last time. (hopefully). It is an exhausting process, shopping for it all, then carting it home, removing all the packaging, disposing of all the packaging, finding a place for everything, moving things around again and again like tetris pieces that need to fit into place. I had things from several sources that needed to find a way to live cohesively. Several boxes from Australia, bags from Halifax, things bought along the way, and things my daughter gave me. I've come to several realizations in tiny home living:

- there is only enough space to live in if things are tidy. The moment th recycling/garbage/laundry start piling up, things begin feeling a bit crowded as you step over it once more to get to the rest of the camper.
- People really don't seem to notice me in here as they walk past, deep in what they thought were private conversations, I'm sure, based on the content. There is a convenience store just around the corner, so a lot of foot traffic to and from as there are several apartment buildings on this block. 
- you become more aware of water usage/waste. No need to rinse everything to death. Never turn down a free shower at a friend/relative's home. Wash your clothes at the laundromat or at said friend/relative's home. Same goes for bathroom - use it elsewhere when you can to save black water tank capacity. 
- you really can find a space for everything. I still have empty space...for the first time in my life. There are cabinets with nearly nothing in them.  This camper has terrific storage, and I have built in a small display shelf for all my little trinkets and souvenirs from around the world. When I am mobile, I will have to pack some of them tippier ones away, but there is non-skid stuff underneath and a high lip onthe shelf. 
- I can see everything from one place in the RV if I want. Saves on psycho illusions in the shower. 
- A C Class RV is plenty of space for a kitten to explore. Nash hardly stops when he is awake. He plays hard, exploring every inch of the RV and has several favorite spots to play and to nap. His favorite napping spot is still under the front passenger seat in the safe. There is a lockable steel cabinet under the seat, but it has large gaps so he can get in and out. I don't have it locked or anything in it other than his little sheepskin bed. He likes the coziness of under the seat I think. He otherwise sleeps on the sofa, and in bed with me at night. 
- Having a door to the bathroom is a very good idea.. I can trap it...
- having an oven in the RV is awesome... from cinnamon buns to roast chicken, I have all I need. 
- it's rather cozy on a blustery cold and wet day. I just turn the furnace on and within a couple of minutes it's toasty warm.
- having a separate chamber for my bed was an excellent idea. Until I was able to get the mattress for my bed chamber, I was sleeping on the other beds in the camper. The overhead one is huge, probably a queen size, but I needed my foam on top of it, which brought me quite close to the roof...coffinlike. So then I pulled out the davenport/sofa. I plunked my foam on that and it was super cozy, but I had to make up my bed every night, and then pack it up in the morning. Pain. In. The. Ass. Once I finally got my mattress and made up the bed, it has been super comfy to sleep in there. And when I get up I can just close the curtain to the chamber. Bed made or not...
- having a comfy place to hang out is super important. The cushions on the bench seats are not very thick and quite matted down on my side already so I need to get some more foam and make new ones, or try to find some new ones that will work that won't cost me a fortune. I have my sleeping foam cut to fit the sofa in it's folded down state. It is now permanently folded down. Getting it from one state to the other  was another PAIN. IN. THE. ASS. It was quite frustrating to be wrestling with my bed late at night for over 20 minutes, swearing and thumping about. So the comfy place has become the sofabed - nice big space opened up with extra foam and a cozy blanket. Kitty has plenty of space to run and sleep along with me. 
- it really does feel like home once my own personal things were unpacked. 

So Nash is quite a playful kitty and it does me good simply to watch him as he plays and explores the RV. He is fascinated/terrified as big trucks roar past. There is no space he won't try to explore. Loud noises really spook him though, however he is getting better with time. He has a play cat tent that he just loves and he has rolled all over the place in it, thumping down onto the floor several times, hardly stopping to take a breath. I also have several dangly things up for display that are also fine for kitty to play with as he just loves dangly things. Currently he is exploring the loft/storage/bed. I have my solar panels up there still, awaiting installation. I think I may just bring them back to Victoria and have my RV friend B help me install them. 

Well, the sun is trying to peek it's shy face out so I must try to capture a few of its rays...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on my posts - lets me know someone is actually reading!