Friday, August 28, 2015

Heading into RV Life

I received official word today that I am to recieve all of the funds I need for the next adventure. It was a personal investment I applied to get early access to due to financial hardship. Thankfully my application was approved, so I should have the funds by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. First on the list is somewhere to live - I have been living in my VW for the past two months and as much as I enjoy driveway camping, I am ready for my own home again, where I can shut myself away for quiet time and get some real rest. Having to use somene else's house for cooking, bathroom, and laundry can get old quick for all of us. Driveway camping is noisy too, with all the traffic. My plan is to camp in free places as much as I can, as I need to keep expenses down. I am networking with others about that, and there are tons of places to camp for free, particularily in an RV that is self-sufficient like the one I want. Solar power, propane stove and fridge, and LED lights galore. I may even start a little garden so I can grown some of my own little herbs and veggies. 

I'm not sure when/if I can or will return to social work. I've decided not to rush into anything until I feel ready. I still struggle with the PTSD on a daily basis. I am looking into ways to work from home that will support my new frugal lifestyle. I'll own the RV outright, as well as Karma so will only have a phone/internet bill, gas and propane, medication, and food as ongoing expenses. I'm hoping setup won't cost too much, and a lot of that will depend on what is already done in the RV I end up buying. Not all have been converted to solar, so if it isn't I want that done asap, as well as add some extra batteries to store the energy. With keeping my expenses as low as possible, I am hoping a part-time job will be enough for now and in the meantime I'll be looking at setting up a home based business for when I want to head south to escape the cold weather or need inspiration. 

So busy times ahead, but I am so grateful that things are working out. I needed a break and someone to help me out and my broker certainly did that. I may have to send her some slippers for Christmas...

I have ssome good friends to help me choose the right RV for me. They are both knowledgeable and trustworthy which means a great deal to me. I don't want to overpay or buy someone else's nightmare. I just want a C Class RV with a separate bedroom at the back, in good shape, preferably not a FORD, and if at all possible, with a light interior, not woodgrain, however I can deal with how to cover that. Once the RV is purchased, I'll be moving right on in, and setting up house finally, after living out of a suitcase on the good graces of friends and family for the past 4 months. And directly after that I shall be adopting me a brand new kitty! I cannot wait. I have felt so lonesome without Dundee, and miss the comfort a housecat can bring. I will be keeping this kitty inside and hopefully building a catio - a small tunnel that leads to outdoor litter and caged space. It will need to be secure but also collapsible. I hope to get this cutie pie - 

Once ready to hit the road, I plan to head to Alberta to see my daughter, finally! I have seen her less than a year ago in China, but not yet in Canada. I just want to hug her. And not let go. I have missed her. She is planning to come to Victoria for Christmas so I'm excited about that. She has never been to Vancouver Island before. 

The last bit of exciting news is that I have been contacted by the BBC to submit a story about #vanlife with photos and video of Karma and my story. So I have done this and sent it along. Apparently they are doing a documentary mini-series about people living in their vans. I will keep y'all posted on where that goes. 

In health related news - I did split my head open a couple of weeks ago and required 4 staples to close it back up. I was coming up the back stairs at my friend's house and ran into the corner of a steel framed window. Bled like a stuck pig, but managed to get it slowed enough to drive myself to the hospital for treatment, after picking my housemate up at the bus stop...she was coming back from the mainland. 

So there you have it...the adventure continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts on my posts - lets me know someone is actually reading!